How to Design Farmhouse Kitchen Cabinets
If you’ve watched the hit HGTV show Fixer Upper in the last 5 years, then you’ve come to know – and love – the ever-popular farmhouse kitchen design. Chip and Joanna Gaines love to utilize the farmhouse kitchen style in their home remodels, but this kitchen design isn’t just for TV stars – you can create your own beautiful farmhouse design in your own kitchen!
Some of the trademark pieces of a farmhouse kitchen design are the attractive kitchen cabinets. When you select and install farmhouse kitchen cabinets, you complete it with the perfect pieces that are both stylish and functional – and that help to pull your entire design together. At Kauffman Kitchens, we know a thing or two about designing dream kitchens, and we’re here to present the various options you have when selecting your new farmhouse kitchen cabinets.
7 Most Popular Farmhouse Cabinet Styles
Picking out the perfect farmhouse kitchen cabinets can be challenging – there are so many style options and accessories! See some highlights, hallmarks, and general inspiration right here:
- Shaker Doors – One of the signature touches of a farmhouse kitchen is the incredibly popular shaker door. With the center panel recessed, these cabinet doors are a classic part of the farmhouse kitchen style. The lines of these doors are flat and straight, lending to a versatile look that will match any paint, stain, or hardware. Upgrade your shaker doors with glass, another popular option, and watch your kitchen be transformed into a beautiful and inviting space you can call your own.
- Popular Color Options – A clean white is the hue that best matches the tone and features of a farmhouse kitchen. Time and time again, white cabinets are the most popular choice, and it’s easy to see why. If you’re looking for a more distinct color that still remains true to the farmhouse style, we’ve seen dark brown or gray stains make for an excellent color complement as well.
- Maple Wood is the Most Popular – While deep and distinct grains might be in-demand for your furniture, maple wood and its limited grain is the most common choice for farmhouse cabinets. The grain proves to be an important factor if you opt for a color stain rather than a paint for your cabinets.
- Concealed Hinges and Cabinet Hardware – While the style does hearken back to a simpler time, there are a few modern touches in farmhouse cabinet design. One of the prime examples is that the hinges and other hardware are completely concealed from view. This contributes to the clean look that and elegant simplicity you’ve come to expect.
- No Deliberate Antiquing – A popular style you might see in some recent kitchen remodels is the antiqued or aged look. This style includes deliberately aging the kitchen cabinets – called faux aging – by rubbing the stain thin in the corners and other such antiquing effects. The farmhouse kitchen style does not include this deliberate aging – instead, your farmhouse kitchen cabinets should look pristine and brand new for as long as possible!
- Cabinets Extend to the Ceiling – When you’re finalizing your farmhouse kitchen design, one aspect in particular that you may not have thought of is where your kitchen cabinets should end. Typically, the farmhouse kitchen style calls for cabinets that extend to the ceiling. This creates a more clean and uniform look often associated with this aesthetic.
- Generally Simplicity– With the farmhouse kitchen style, the simpler – the better! This style of kitchen does away with ornate and the decorative. This can be seen in everything from the clean lines to the simple colors. For a full farmhouse kitchen, carry the rest of the style through by matching it to a deep farmhouse style sink and a light-colored kitchen countertop with a simple pattern.
Farmhouse Cabinets from Kauffman Kitchens
Whether you’re as enamored with the farmhouse style as TV hosts and interior design bloggers, there is a kitchen style that matches your home and your budget. At Kauffman Kitchens, we’d like to help you find it and deliver it to your home.
Our semi-custom cabinets builders can create a huge range of styles, from these well-loved farmhouse kitchen cabinets to classical and ornate ones. Every project needs to begin with a conversation between our clients and our interior designers in which you describe your dream kitchen and we find a way to bring it to life. When you’re ready to start the process and request your FREE estimate, contact Kauffman Kitchens for your design consultation today!
Share This Post: